The team is weak, the organizational structure is cumbersome and the overall culture is negative.
The Culture Quiz
You don’t need to digest long books about organizational behavior to figure out the ‘people equation’.
Yogi Berra said: “You can observe a lot by watching.”
Observe the people inside a company and answer these questions about organizational structure and teamwork:
- Do people work well together?
- Are people smiling?
- Do things get done?
- Do employees have goals, expectations, and accountability?
- Are employees formally evaluated and rewarded?
- What is the decision-making process?
- Is communication easy or difficult?
- Do employees have key skills and access to training?
- Are employees encouraged to thoughtfully upset the status quo and be creative?
Violating the Employees’ Trust
I’ve seen some of these, and they aren’t pretty:
- the company provides false or misleading financial information to its bank
- ownership maintains hazardous or uncomfortable work conditions while pulling out excessive cash and perks, complaining there is insufficient cash to fund capital improvements
- the company cuts corners on quality or tries to short-change customers
- leadership blames the problems of the day on everyone but themselves